About 800,000 disabled children face to lose their health related benefits Department and Pension Department (DWP) Confirms that they will not be eligible for the safety promised under the welfare concessions of labor.
The following a Large -scale backbenth rebellion Last week on government’s welfare bill, work and pension secretary Liz Kendal Announced several turns for law on Monday afternoon Ahead of a crunch vote on Tuesday.
But this security will not be extended for 773,000 Under -16, which is currently in the receipt of PIP child equivalent, disability living allowance (DLA), DWP has confirmed.
If the bill passes, personal freedom payment (PIP) will essentially become Claiming is more difficult As the point-scoring system used in assessment is tightened. Currently 3.7 million people have been paid, the profit is designed to help with additional costs related to health or disability.
About 1.5 million of these will not be able to eligible under the new scoring system. However, Ms. Kendal confirmed the MPs that in any receipt Stool When changes are applied in November 2026, their compulsory future revaluation will be subject to the old, more generous point-scoring system.
Earlier, one of the most common health related benefits in Britain, the DLA began to be phased out in 2013. However, it remains for children between 0 to 15 years of age as the main childhood disability benefits. Parents can apply for DLA on behalf of their children from their birth time.
However, when a child turns 16 in the receipt of DLA, he is invited to apply for PIP. If they do not apply for PIP from the deadline given in this invitation, their DLA payment will be stopped.
DWP has confirmed that the security for the current PIP contenders under the government’s concessions will not be extended to any child in the current DLA.
This means that any child receiving the benefit of 16 years after November 2026 will be evaluated for PIP on new, strict system.
The current system was criticized in March as an investigation by the BBC revealed that the teenagers who were invited to infection from the DLA were rejected from re -claiming that the PIP was already a third. Whether the change should be passed, it will be likely to increase the figure.
Another 350,000 adult -aged DLA recipients can also withstand a more difficult evaluation process for PIPs in the future as they all face an essential step for future benefits.
After being phased out of the DLA, many recipients born before 1948 were invited to apply for PIPs, subject to a mandatory evaluation. The DWP confirmed that these invitations have been prevented for now, despite that more than 350,000 adult-orien recipients of DLA are in the age group to receive one.
These figures means that, the joint, more than a million current disability profit recipients may face strict criteria to claim PIPs, left out of the concession of labor to provide protection to the current PIP claimants.

The DWP has said that voluntary claims from DLA to PIP for adults can be made at any time, meaning that whoever wants to infection with profit, he may want to consider doing so, should pass the bill on Tuesday.
James Taylor, Executive Director of Strategy in Disability Equality Charity Scope, said: “These disastrous deduction will support the bone for future disabled children and their families.
“Life costs a large amount for people with disabilities of all ages. Today’s disabled children can have up to £ 8,000 a year than the larger person with similar requirements and additional costs.
“Hundreds of thousands of families will face a terrible rock in support as their children contact adulthood.
“The government needs to leave this bill, and should be properly attached to people with disabilities and MPs how to improve our welfare system.”
Derek Sinklair, Senior Advisor to Disability Charity Contact, said: “Last week announcements will be a relief for the current contenders. However, it does nothing to help future contenders, in which disabled children are currently not sufficient to claim adult disability benefits.
“We are being left with an inappropriate two-level system. It will be difficult to qualify for financial assistance to future contenders, and the benefits paid to many will be much less.
“Our research has found that families with a disabled child or young man are already among the poorest homes in Britain. The government should scrap its current plans until it has first consulted a proper consultation with people with disabilities and their carers.”
DWP did not comment.
Last week, Independent Too PIPs highlighted the cases of claimants who said they say He struggled to get the support he was entitled toAs more than half says they feel ‘humiliated’ in evaluation.