Has it got rear-reversing cameras? A great entertainment system? Good horsepower under the bonnet?
All great questions to ask yourself when you’re buying a new car but there’s another, equally important, one you shouldn’t forget about: what colour is it?
Because a new survey for Cazoo has found that not only could the right colour earn you more cash when you sell it, but many of us refuse to buy a vehicle in certain shades too (pink – we’re looking at you!).
It seems the safest bet is black – beloved by four out of ten respondents, closely followed by blue with grey, red and silver also very popular.
But it’s not just pink that ranks low when it comes to popularity – half the survey said they’d pause before buying a car in orange or yellow, with purple bringing up the rear.
But it doesn’t go with my outfit…
Maybe those bright colours aren’t popular because it’s so hard to wear something to match them.
No, we’re not joking – an astonishing number of people admit to wearing clothes or accessories to match their wheels!
Over all, a fifth of us have done this but it’s most prevalent in London where over double that have donned an outfit to complement their car. Meanwhile, Bristolians aren’t on board with this trend with fewer than one in ten having done the same!
Given the importance of colour, it’s perhaps not surprising that six in ten of us would pay more for a car in a shade we liked. And the younger we are, the more we’d be prepared to.
Again, Londoners were most likely to be happy to shell out more – three quarters would – whereas people in Plymouth are least likely with just four in ten admitting they’d cough up extra readies.
So how much extra are we talking about? £50? Maybe £100? No, we’re talking a whopping £524 more on average!
And while we may joke that all women care about is the colour of a car, it seems that stereotype is completely wrong as more men are willing to splash out than women to get the right shade. Particularly if they’re young.
Over all, those who are willing to pay the biggest premium on colour are in Edinburgh (£590), while those in Stoke-on-Trent are only willing to fork out £332 for a car colour they prefer.
It’s a no from me…
But while many will pay more for a colour they like, others simply won’t buy one they don’t love. In fact nearly one in five of us has refused to part with our cash for this reason – and again, the younger you are, the more likely this is.
However, it’s often the significance of a colour that prevents us from falling in love with a new motor – especially if you have strong political views or are a footie fan.
Around a quarter of us probably wouldn’t buy a car in a shade associated with a party we didn’t support – rising to over half of all 18 to 29-year-olds!
Football fans are equally passionate when it comes to their sporting rivals. In fact, nearly a quarter of supporters say they wouldn’t buy a car in a rival team’s colours.
It’s a particularly entrenched view in cities with at least two major teams such as Glasgow (where 39 per cent would refuse), London (38 per cent) and Liverpool (32 per cent).
So best be careful when buying a car – because 83 per cent of respondents thought its colour could negatively impact its value.
Hue are you?
Maybe that’s because half of us believe you can tell someone’s personality by the motor they drive.
Those with black vehicles are seen as loyal and intelligent whereas those with a blue one are apparently loyal and caring. Red owners are passionate and orange are funny.
But the associations aren’t always flattering. Beware those with grey, silver or white wheels – you’re boring (sorry!). And green – have a tidy up because you’re seen to be messy!
However, it’s not just personality types we think we can tell by a car’s colour, it’s whether they’re a good driver too.
Got a black car? Then 21 per cent of people think you’ll be a good driver. Whereas the worst motorists can be found in…black cars. Or so say 16 per cent of respondents.
Bad drivers also opt for white and silver vehicles apparently while good ones tend to go for… white and silver.
So now we know – colour is incredibly important to us when buying a new car. So we all love the ones we’ve chosen. Right?
Wrong. Despite all this, one in ten of us aren’t really into the colour of what we drive! Is it time you to switch to one you really love?
Cazoo: Car Buying and Selling Made Easy
Cazoo makes both buying and selling a car easy – and you can do it all from your sofa.
To sell, go online to get an instant valuation that’s guaranteed for seven days. Accept the offer and you can either drop your car off at a Cazoo Customer Centre or, for a fee, have it collected from your home.
Part-exchange is just as easy – simply use the valuation for your current car as part-payment towards the car you want on the Cazoo website. Everything can be done online and, for extra convenience, you can arrange financing at the same time.
On handover day your old car will be taken away as your Cazoo car is delivered or collected, so the whole process couldn’t be simpler.
Click HERE to find out how much your car is worth – you may be surprised!
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Menu and Prices
- “Neither before nor now…”: Shivraj Singh Chauhan on being a contender for the post of Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Bangladesh Coach Warns Against Complacency Ahead Of 2nd Test vs New Zealand | Cricket News
- Spur Steak Ranches Menu and Prices
- Apple Warns India’s EU-style Charger Rules Will Hit Local Production Target
- Newlywed Bride Killed By Shark While Paddleboarding In Bahamas A Day After Her Wedding
- Portable blenders are a kitchen necessity, Amazon is offering up to 75% discount on them.
- Shikhar Dhawan Turns 38: Reliving The Career Highlights Of Indian Team’s ‘Gabbar’ | Cricket News
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List
- GTA 6 trailer gets over 59m views in 12 hours, here’s what you may have missed
- Chilling footage shows Florida honors student lurking over mom’s bed moments before he allegedly stabbed her to death
- These are the top 5 deals on branded men’s wallet available on Amazon, up to 80% discount is available.
- India Aim For Better Returns Against England In Women’s T20I Series | Cricket News
- Maria Martin Pdeath Cause And Obituary : Groundbreaking Journalist Of Usa Died At 72
- Deepika Padukone as Squadron leader Minal Rathore in Hrithik Roshan’s Fighter | Check out intense poster | Bollywood News
- “Thought It Was An iPhone”: Thieves Return Stolen Android Phone To Shocked US Couple
- KCR had set out to win India, ‘Haath’ snatched his place
- “Didn’t Remove Virat Kohli From Captaincy”: Former BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Says “He Wasn’t…” | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In New Orleans, Louisiana: Best Places To Stay
- US Army Officer Breaks Guinness World Record For Burpee Pull-Ups
- India to Witness 42 Crore Air Travelers by 2030, Confirms Aviation Minister
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.
- Pakistan’s Tour Goes From Bad To Worse As Ex-Captain, Junior Argue. Watch | Cricket News