“(We) will lead the country steadily and firmly follow the right path. Please give us a chance,” he said.
While the United States does not diplomatically recognise Taiwan, it is the island’s most prominent ally and arms supplier.
During Hsiao’s three-year stint in Washington, she had enabled US-Taiwan relations to be “the most mutually trusting” in history, said Lai.
Last September, a US Senate committee approved the Taiwan Policy Act, allowing Washington to provide Taipei security assistance to the tune of US$4.5 billion over four years.
The legislation also laid out sanctions on China should it use force to try and seize Taiwan.
Bonnie Glaser, a Taiwan-China affairs expert at the German Marshall Fund of the United States, said Hsiao has done an “outstanding job” in advancing Taiwan’s interests.
“She understands how Congress works, its key role in supporting Taiwan, but also how to work with the executive branch and Congress at the same time,” Glaser said.
To Taiwanese voters, a Lai-Hsiao ticket would represent the party’s platform to “resist China”, said political scientist Chang Chun-hao of Taiwan’s Tunghai University.
“(They) can create a powerful effect in anti-China and pro-US issues,” he told AFP. “Hsiao not only represents Taiwanese ideology but she also has a pro-US role.”
- 30 November 2023 Virgo horoscope reading with Cancer, Leo and other zodiac signs | Astrology News
- 4 DIY facials for grooms before marriage | Beauty Tips News
- Man pays with life after he records thieves stealing a coconut in Navi Mumbai | Crime News
- Is Animal 2 in the pipeline? Producer Bhushan Kumar drops exciting hint | Bollywood News
- How sniffer dog ‘Leo’ took just 90 minutes to find 6-year-old kidnapped boy in Mumbai | Crime News
- 2025 Chevrolet Suburban And Tahoe Get 17.7-Inch Touchscreen, Stronger Diesel
- Dinesh Karthik shines as TN beat Baroda in Vijay Hazare Trophy | Cricket News
- Rahu Kaal on 30 November 2023: Delhi, Mumbai, Surat, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Jaipur, Chandigarh, and other cities | Astrology News
- Fedbank Financial Services IPO Allotment Finalised: Check GMP, Allotment Status
- AB de Villiers raises concern after RCB releases Hasaranga, Patel and Hazlewood | Cricket News
- “Very Exciting”: In A First, Newborn Star’s Spinning Disk Seen In Another Galaxy
- Zomato Rises 4% After 3 Million Shares Change Hands Via Block Deal; Key Points
- US Files Charges Against Indian Man For Alleged Bid To Kill Khalistani Terrorist
- Pro Kabaddi League PKL 2023-24: Complete schedule, teams, live streaming details and all you need to know | Kabaddi News
- Disclaimer On YouTube For Altered Content: Google Moves To Curb Deepfakes
- Sebi Proposes Changes In Regulatory Framework For Special Situation Funds
- US Sanctions Cryptocurrency Mixer Sinbad Over North Korea Ties
- How to see your Spotify Wrapped 2023 | Entertainment News
- “No Sense Of Fatigue” When It Comes To Support For Ukraine, Says Blinken
- Income Tax Department Conducts Survey at Some Entities of Hinduja Group
- “It’s Only Here That I Feel Good”: Gaza Families Return To Home In Ruins
- Telangana Polls: EC Orders Suspension of Three Cops for Diluting Case in Cash-seizure Matter
- “Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Possible But Those With Influence…”: WHO
- Was Sanju Samson approached by CSK for a transfer ahead of IPL 2024? R Ashwin rubbishes fan’s wild claim | Cricket News