TAIPEI: Taiwan’s people have to make a choice at next year’s election about whether the island keeps moving forward on the road to democracy or “walks into the embrace of China”, the frontrunner to be the next president said on Tuesday (Nov 21).
The issue of China, which claims Taiwan as its own territory, looms large ahead of the Jan 13 presidential and parliamentary elections, especially as Beijing has been stepping up its military pressure against the island.
Lai Ching-te, vice president and the ruling Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) presidential candidate has led in most opinion polls ahead of the election. The DPP champions Taiwan’s separate identity from China
The largest opposition party, the Kuomintang (KMT), which traditionally favours close ties with Beijing, is locked in a dispute with the smaller Taiwan People’s Party about which of their candidates should run as president and which as vice president after initially agreeing to work together.
Speaking to reporters and supporters after formally registering his candidacy with the election commission, Lai said Taiwan’s security was an international issue and the whole world was watching this election.
“The people of Taiwan have to choose between trusting Taiwan, allowing Taiwan to continue to move forward on the road of democracy, and relying on China, following the old path of the one-China principle, and walking into the embrace of China,” he said.
Beijing has demanded Taipei accepts both sides of the Taiwan Strait belong to “one China”, which the DPP-led government has rejected saying only the island’s people can decide their future.
Lai on Monday announced Taiwan’s high profile former de facto ambassador the United States, Hsiao Bi-khim, as his running mate.
Like Lai, Hsiao is despised by China, which has twice placed sanctions on her, most recently in April, saying she was an “independence diehard”.
Late on Monday, Chinese state television lambasted the Lai-Hsiao team up in a commentary on its website, saying they were “villains colluding together”.
“Taiwan independence means war. The Lai-Hsiao independence double act will intensify cross-strait tensions and conflict,” it said.
Lai on Monday dismissed China’s criticisms, saying it was further proof of Beijing’s efforts to interfere in the election.
Lai, standing next to Hsiao outside the election commission, said he was full of confidence.
Both wore matching badges on their lapels showing a cartoon dog and cat, Lai being a dog lover and Hsiao a cat lover.
The election registration deadline is Friday. It remains unclear when the opposition will register their candidates.
- Beware With ‘Loan-Helping’ Scam! Noida Cops Nab Two From Fake Call Centre, Know Details Here
- “BJP Leaders Khalid Jehangir and Adv Sajid Yousuf Shah Extend Condolences and Solidarity at Moulvi Imran Raza Ansari’
- Young juveniles in Minnesota increasingly committing serious crimes: report
- Aamir Khan trapped in stormy rains of Chennai, actor found safe after 24 hours of efforts
- Wrestling Federation of India election date to be announced after December 8
- Spy X Family Season 2 Episode 9 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Section 6A of Citizenship Act was a humanitarian measure: Supreme Court | India News
- “False, Ill-Informed…”: Apollo Hospitals Rubbishes “Cash For Kidneys” Report
- Despite seeing Shahrukh Khan, the soldier kept checking the documents, video is going viral
- KonoSuba Season 3 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Ex-India Star Picks “24-Carat Gold” Player To Succeed Rohit Sharma As Test Captain | Cricket News
- Year-End Offer: Mahindra Offers massive Discount on XUV300 and XUV400
- YouTuber who crashed plane as publicity stunt sentenced to six months in jail
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Menu and Prices
- “Neither before nor now…”: Shivraj Singh Chauhan on being a contender for the post of Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Bangladesh Coach Warns Against Complacency Ahead Of 2nd Test vs New Zealand | Cricket News
- Spur Steak Ranches Menu and Prices
- Apple Warns India’s EU-style Charger Rules Will Hit Local Production Target
- Actor Dinesh Phadnis passes away, ‘CID’ team pays condolences
- Newlywed Bride Killed By Shark While Paddleboarding In Bahamas A Day After Her Wedding
- Portable blenders are a kitchen necessity, Amazon is offering up to 75% discount on them.
- Shikhar Dhawan Turns 38: Reliving The Career Highlights Of Indian Team’s ‘Gabbar’ | Cricket News
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List