The Supreme Court on Monday declined to review former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s conviction for the murder of George Floyd, whose killing reignited the Black Lives Matter movement and sparked worldwide protests in summer 2020.
Chauvin had asked the justices to hear his case after Minnesota’s top court declined to do so.
The justices declined to take up Chauvin’s appeal, letting his conviction stand.
Video footage spread widely on social media showing Floyd pleading “I can’t breathe” as the then-Minneapolis police officer kneeled on Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes.
Protesters in cities nationwide and elsewhere took to the streets following Floyd’s death, and demonstrations continued into Chauvin’s state murder trial.
Nearly 11 months after Floyd’s killing, a jury convicted Chauvin on charges of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
Chauvin, 47, has been appealing his conviction on various grounds while he serves a more than 22-year prison sentence.
Citing prejudicial pretrial publicity, Chauvin sought the Supreme Court’s review to decide whether he was improperly denied a venue change.
Chauvin also wanted the justices to review his conviction to determine whether his trial judge was obligated to hold a hearing to consider allegations of juror misconduct discovered after the verdict was issued.
Chauvin noted fears of riots in Minneapolis as the city braced for a verdict, arguing that jurors had a personal vested interest in finding Chauvin guilty to avoid threats of violence to their families and the community.
“Mr. Chauvin’s case shows the profound difficulties trial courts have to ensure a criminal defendant’s right to an impartial jury consistently when extreme cases arise,” his attorney wrote.
Following his murder conviction, Chauvin later pleaded guilty to criminal charges for depriving George Floyd and a then-14-year-old boy of their civil rights on separate occasions. He was sentenced to serve 252 months in prison in the federal case.
Last week, Chauvin made another attempt to overturn that conviction, contending that new evidence reveals he didn’t cause Floyd’s death.
- Ford Maverick Spy Shots Suggest High-Performance Model On The Way
- SSC Delhi Police Head Constable Ministerial skill test 2023 result declared; How to check | Exam Results News
- Will Never Sit Face-To-Face With US For Sovereignty Negotiations: North Korea
- Lung cancer: Expert says most suitable treatment depends on stage of disease, know treatment options | Health News
- India saw extreme weather events almost every day in first 9 months this year, 2923 killed: Report | India News
- SSC JE 2023 final answer key released at ssc.nic.in; How to check | Jobs News
- Delhi Excise Policy: Manish Sisodia approaches Supreme Court for review of its order denying him bail in CBI, ED cases | India News
- Scheduling issues have cheapened India vs Australia T20I series, says Michael Hussey | Cricket News
- “Very Common Phenomenon”: China Amid Surge In Respiratory Illnesses
- Chandigarh: Woman arrested for placing webcam in bathroom of PG | Crime News
- India Must Take “Canada’s Allegations Seriously”: Trudeau After US Case
- India backs UN resolution calling upon Israel to withdraw from Golan Heights | India News
- How to stream Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour film online in December | Hollywood News
- PTSD risk hovers of Uttarkashi tunnel survivors, mental health therapist shares tips to deal with it | Mental Health News
- Aston Martin Will Not Build A Mid-Engine Vanquish
- 30 November 2023 Virgo horoscope reading with Cancer, Leo and other zodiac signs | Astrology News
- 4 DIY facials for grooms before marriage | Beauty Tips News
- Man pays with life after he records thieves stealing a coconut in Navi Mumbai | Crime News
- Is Animal 2 in the pipeline? Producer Bhushan Kumar drops exciting hint | Bollywood News
- How sniffer dog ‘Leo’ took just 90 minutes to find 6-year-old kidnapped boy in Mumbai | Crime News
- 2025 Chevrolet Suburban And Tahoe Get 17.7-Inch Touchscreen, Stronger Diesel
- Dinesh Karthik shines as TN beat Baroda in Vijay Hazare Trophy | Cricket News
- Rahu Kaal on 30 November 2023: Delhi, Mumbai, Surat, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Jaipur, Chandigarh, and other cities | Astrology News
- Fedbank Financial Services IPO Allotment Finalised: Check GMP, Allotment Status