The Colombian singer Shakira has reached a settlement with prosecutors in Spain to avoid a trial over charges that she failed to pay €14.5m (£12.7m) in income tax between 2012 and 2014.
As part of the deal, which puts an end to the trial in Barcelona, prosecutors swapped a potential prison sentence for the singer for fines, the judge said during the trial’s first hearing.
The 46-year-old has a second tax fraud investigation pending with Spanish authorities.
She has said she paid what the tax office said was owed before it filed a lawsuit, and insists she was not living in Spain during the period as her work led to a “nomadic life”.
The prosecutor’s office had alleged that Shakira spent more than half of each of the years in question in Spain and was therefore ordinarily resident in the country. It also says a Barcelona property she bought in May 2012 served as a family home.
Shakira lived with the former Barcelona and Spain footballer Gerard Piqué for 11 years and they have two children. The singer, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, moved to Miami after the couple’s separation.
Spanish authorities have pursued other celebrities over tax evasion, including footballers such as Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, Argentina’s Lionel Messi and the Brazilian-Spanish player Diego Costa. All settled and paid large fines.
Spain’s supreme court last month upheld the acquittal of the former Real Madrid and Spain player Xabi Alonso in another tax case. Alonso had refused to settle and eventually won at trial.
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.
- Pakistan’s Tour Goes From Bad To Worse As Ex-Captain, Junior Argue. Watch | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In Cambridge, England: Best Places To Stay
- Facebook Shutting Down Accounts But Why?
- Vladimir Putin To Visit UAE, Saudi, Host Iran President This Week
- Taxi driver tramples pigeons sitting on road, says road is for humans
- Another ‘Miracle in Melbourne’ or swan song in Paris: What to expect from Rafael Nadal after a long injury layoff
- Can We Play Lethal Company on MacBook? Working Methods and Performance
- Gujarat IT/ITeS Policy Aims To Increase Exports To Rs 25,000 Cr In 5 years
- Facial Recognition, Credit Card: UK Regulator’s Tough Measures For Porn Sites To Check Users’ Age
- Rashtriya Rajput Karni Sena President Sukhdev Singh Gogamedi murdered, miscreants entered his house and shot him
- O’Charley’s Menu and Prices
- Domino Effect: How Congress Drubbing Puts Thackeray, Pawar and Pawar on a Sticky Wicket
- Vladimir Putin To Visit Saudi Arabia, UAE Tomorrow: Kremlin
- To avoid cold and cough, consume the juice of this vegetable, know its other benefits.
- Julia Roberts breaks silence on ex-BF Matthew Perry’s ‘heartbreaking’ death
- “40 Km Everyday On Bicycle”: This Student-Turned-Food Delivery Agent’s Story Melts Hearts On Internet
- Leverage Redemption Season 3 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- CUSAT stampede: Kerala High Court seeks inquiry report | Kerala News
- Little Pine Menu and Prices
- This Hotter RS6 Avant Will Be The Ultimate Audi Wagon In The ICE Era
- A man was stealing python eggs when the ferocious creature attacked him fiercely.
- Did you know Ranbir Kapoor’s Animal was shot at brother-in-law Saif Ali Khan’s Pataudi Palace? Pics inside
- Spanish Woman Chokes On Food, Then Swallows Toothbrush In Bizarre Near-Death Incident