The British govt’s competitive politicisation of human rights is a deadly attack on autonomy that will have to be halted ahead of irrevocable injury is completed, the United Kingdom director of Human Rights Attend to (HRW) has warned.
In an unique interview with the Dad or mum, Yasmine Ahmed, who has been the United Kingdom director of HRW since November 2020, stated the federal government indicating it might “disapply” the Human Rights Occupation to an disaster invoice that can permit it to ship asylum seekers to Rwanda – in spite of the very best courtroom ruling the coverage unlawful – is a part of an escalating assault on human rights.
“With previous governments there was always an attempt to at least try to appear as if they were complying with domestic or international human rights law and to respect the courts and human rights institutions,” Ahmed stated. “Now there is no attempt to do this – in fact, it’s quite the opposite.”
She endured: “Rishi Sunak’s government must know that even scrapping the Human Rights Act will not prevent it from facing significant legal barriers to its Rwanda policy, but what we’re seeing is the UK moving towards a place where the government feels it can undermine the integrity of the judiciary, undermine or scrap human rights laws that don’t serve its current political agenda, and create new laws that do. This is a dangerous place to find ourselves in. This can start to look very much like authoritarianism.”
Ahmed says that since she took up the United Kingdom directorship of Human Rights Attend to 3 years in the past, the federal government has introduced an extraordinary assault on human rights enshrined in British and global regulation.
“Not only is the government talking about ripping up domestic human rights law and ignoring its international obligations, it has launched an open attack on the right to peacefully demonstrate, is locking up climate protesters, criminalising refugees and has given the police unprecedented powers over citizens,” Ahmed stated.
“This approach not only discredits and undermines our ability to hold other human rights violators to account on the international stage, but it creates a model of governance that puts political ideology over a state’s legal obligation to uphold basic human rights that were put into law to protect us all. Once you attack, discredit and tear up these laws and frameworks it could be almost impossible to put them back together.”
She says that during contemporary weeks, makes an attempt to restrain pro-Palestinian protests “ by the former home secretary Suella Braverman and the government’s attacks on the supreme court’s ruling that its Rwanda asylum policy is illegal shows how emboldened the state has become in showing contempt for human rights.
“They have been successful in making us believe that ripping up human rights laws and putting new ones in place will only affect vulnerable and controversial groups,” she stated. “But all of us, at any time, may need to exercise our rights or hold the state to account and suddenly discover that we have lost the power to do so.”
For extra such articles and information, do connect our thelocalreport.in WhatsApp Group. You’ll additionally secured with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for extra in regards to the automobile global!
- Ohio woman’s miscarriage leads to ‘abuse of corpse’ case before grand jury
- Israel Slams UN Chief As He Invokes Rare Article 99 Over Gaza War
- 10 BJP MPs including Union Ministers resign, may join state governments
- Mother of Sam Hutchinson, newlywed killed in golf cart crash, ‘bullied’ in legal battle with groom
- Israeli Forces Kill 4 Palestinians In West Bank: Ministry
- Grand Theft Auto 6 trailer recreates classic Florida news stories
- Zelensky Says Ukraine Does Not Want To Rely Solely On Allied Military Aid
- Video: Northern Gaza destroyed, now Israeli tanks and guns are turning towards the south
- Chemistry whiz accused of trying to poison Florida neighbor deported to China
- Man Found Dead In Big Cat Enclosure In Pakistan Zoo
- US files first-ever war crime charges accusing Russian soldiers of torturing American in Ukraine
- US’ New Mexico Sues Meta, Mark Zuckerberg Over Child Protection Failures
- Locals outraged after pet owner leaves fish inside aquarium on curb among ‘free’ items
- Video: Kim Jong Un sheds tears while urging North Korean women to have more children
- AIIMS INI CET Counselling 2024 round one seat allotment result tomorrow at aiimsexams.ac.in; Steps to check | Exam Results News
- Ukraine Should Have Neutral Status For Any Peace Deal, Says Russia
- “Not getting enough help”: Pregnant woman manages to escape from flood-hit area of Chennai
- Delhi HC sets aside single judge order determining writer Salman Rushdie’s property at Rs 130 crore, directs for fresh determination | India News
- White House — but not Biden — rips university presidents over Jew-hate on campus
- It Took Lamborghini 435 Hours To Hand-Paint This Funky Revuelto
- Not Shardul Thakur! Irfan Pathan names Indian pacer MS Dhoni’s CSK should target at IPL 2024 auction | Cricket News
- Pro-Russian Politician Killed In Car Bombing In Ukraine
- Supreme Court restores cheating case against fugitive businessman Mehul Choksi, his wife | India News
- Husband sentenced to prison for 6-minute video of him beating wife recorded by their child