India could have achieved Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of a $5 trillion GDP target “long before” if not for the habit of importing gold, a member of his economic advisory team said on Monday.
Mutual fund industry veteran Nilesh Shah, a part-time member of the Economic Advisory Council to the PM (EACPM), said that in the last 21 years, Indians have spent around $500 billion on gold imports alone.
“We are working towards achieving the PM’s $5 trillion GDP target. But by avoiding this just one habit, we would have become a $5 trillion economy long before. We have probably lost one-third of India’s GDP by simply not following the right financial investment,” the MD and chief executive of Kotak Asset Management Company said.
Citing official data, Mr Shah said Indians have spent $375 billion on gold imports on a net basis in the last 21 years and added that we keep reading about Customs’ gold seizures on a regular basis, which makes it evident that smuggling is rampant.
Moreover, people come back with gold jewellery from destinations like Dubai and successfully walk out of the Green Channel at the port of landing, he noted.
“Instead of investing in gold, if that money was invested in our golden entrepreneurs like the Tatas, Ambanis, Birlas, Wadia and Adani, imagine what would have been our GDP? What would have been growth, what would have been our per capita GDP?” he said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- Top Most Amazing Locations To Visit In Downtown Nashville: Best Places To Explore
- October 7 Hamas Attacks “Planned For Years”: Israel
- Drink this powder mixed with milk every night before sleeping, diseases like cancer and diabetes will remain far away.
- “To Have That…”: David Warner’s Wife Candice Breaks Silence After Mitchell Johnson Blasts Australia Star | Cricket News
- 71 Show Cause Notices Issued To Online Gaming Firms Involving GST Demand Of Rs 1.12 Lakh Cr: FinMin
- Gautam Adani becomes world’s 16th richest man! How Adani Group boss’ fortune changed in 1 week | Companies News
- Get Ready For BIGGEST Gmail Update To Stop Spam Mails For Users
- Upload Season 3 Episode 9 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Beware With ‘Loan-Helping’ Scam! Noida Cops Nab Two From Fake Call Centre, Know Details Here
- “BJP Leaders Khalid Jehangir and Adv Sajid Yousuf Shah Extend Condolences and Solidarity at Moulvi Imran Raza Ansari’
- Young juveniles in Minnesota increasingly committing serious crimes: report
- Aamir Khan trapped in stormy rains of Chennai, actor found safe after 24 hours of efforts
- Wrestling Federation of India election date to be announced after December 8
- Spy X Family Season 2 Episode 9 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Section 6A of Citizenship Act was a humanitarian measure: Supreme Court | India News
- “False, Ill-Informed…”: Apollo Hospitals Rubbishes “Cash For Kidneys” Report
- Despite seeing Shahrukh Khan, the soldier kept checking the documents, video is going viral
- KonoSuba Season 3 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Ex-India Star Picks “24-Carat Gold” Player To Succeed Rohit Sharma As Test Captain | Cricket News
- Kalki Koechlin deletes X app from phone amid Palestine-Israel crisis, Sayani Gupta calls it ‘best cleanse ever’
- Year-End Offer: Mahindra Offers massive Discount on XUV300 and XUV400
- YouTuber who crashed plane as publicity stunt sentenced to six months in jail
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Menu and Prices
- “Neither before nor now…”: Shivraj Singh Chauhan on being a contender for the post of Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh