OpenAI’s interim CEO Emmett Shear vowed on Monday to hire an independent investigator to probe the abrupt ouster of co-founder Sam Altman and reform the management team over the next 30 days as he seeks to restore trust in the US start-up after a dramatic weekend.
Ex-Twitch boss Emmett Shear has been appointed to lead the company behind ChatGPT, replacing Altman following his shock sacking on Friday. Earlier on Monday, OpenAI backer Microsoft said Altman will join the company to lead a new advanced artificial intelligence research team.
“It’s clear that the process and communications around Sam’s removal has been handled very badly, which has seriously damaged our trust,” Emmett said in a post on social media platform X describing his new job as a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity”.
Investors in OpenAI, including one of its biggest, Microsoft, had been discussing over the weekend damage control from the dramatic events, including possibly pushing the board to restore Altman as CEO, fearing a mass exodus of talent without him.
Emmett outlined in his post a three-point plan for the first 30 days: hire an investigator to look into the process leading up to “this point” and produce a full report; speak to employees, partners, investors, and customers and reform the management and leadership team in light of recent departures into “an effective force to drive results for our customers”.
Depending on the results, he said he would drive changes in the organisation – up to and including pushing strongly for significant governance changes if necessary.
“OpenAI’s stability and success are too important to allow turmoil to disrupt them like this. I will endeavor to address the key concerns as well, although in many cases I believe it may take longer than a month to achieve true progress.”
The reasons for Altman’s exit are not clear. OpenAI Chief Operating Officer Brad Lightcap told staff on Saturday it was over a “breakdown of communications” not “malfeasance”.
Emmett said he checked on the reasoning before taking the job and Altman was not removed over any disagreement on the safety of powerful AI models.
“Their reasoning was completely different from that. I’m not crazy enough to take this job without board support for commercializing our awesome models,” he said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- Apple Founder Steve Jobs Signed This Cheque In 1976. Now, It Is On Sale For 21 Lakh
- Top Most Amazing Locations To Visit In Downtown Nashville: Best Places To Explore
- October 7 Hamas Attacks “Planned For Years”: Israel
- Drink this powder mixed with milk every night before sleeping, diseases like cancer and diabetes will remain far away.
- “To Have That…”: David Warner’s Wife Candice Breaks Silence After Mitchell Johnson Blasts Australia Star | Cricket News
- 71 Show Cause Notices Issued To Online Gaming Firms Involving GST Demand Of Rs 1.12 Lakh Cr: FinMin
- Gautam Adani becomes world’s 16th richest man! How Adani Group boss’ fortune changed in 1 week | Companies News
- Get Ready For BIGGEST Gmail Update To Stop Spam Mails For Users
- Upload Season 3 Episode 9 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Beware With ‘Loan-Helping’ Scam! Noida Cops Nab Two From Fake Call Centre, Know Details Here
- “BJP Leaders Khalid Jehangir and Adv Sajid Yousuf Shah Extend Condolences and Solidarity at Moulvi Imran Raza Ansari’
- Young juveniles in Minnesota increasingly committing serious crimes: report
- Aamir Khan trapped in stormy rains of Chennai, actor found safe after 24 hours of efforts
- Wrestling Federation of India election date to be announced after December 8
- Spy X Family Season 2 Episode 9 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Section 6A of Citizenship Act was a humanitarian measure: Supreme Court | India News
- “False, Ill-Informed…”: Apollo Hospitals Rubbishes “Cash For Kidneys” Report
- Despite seeing Shahrukh Khan, the soldier kept checking the documents, video is going viral
- KonoSuba Season 3 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- Ex-India Star Picks “24-Carat Gold” Player To Succeed Rohit Sharma As Test Captain | Cricket News
- Kalki Koechlin deletes X app from phone amid Palestine-Israel crisis, Sayani Gupta calls it ‘best cleanse ever’
- Year-End Offer: Mahindra Offers massive Discount on XUV300 and XUV400
- YouTuber who crashed plane as publicity stunt sentenced to six months in jail
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Menu and Prices