In a distressing turn of events in Manipur, a security force personnel from the India Reserve Battalion (IRB) and his driver fell victim to a fatal ambush by suspected members of Imphal Valley-based terror groups. The attack occurred in the Kangpokpi district between Haraothel and Kobsha villages, an area near the Singda dam that has witnessed increased violence during the ongoing ethnic strife in the state.
The victims, part of the Kuki-Zo community, were targeted without provocation, according to a tribal organisation, which subsequently called for a “shutdown” in Kangpokpi district. This incident adds to a series of clashes between armed villagers amid the ethnic tension between the Meitei and Kuki communities since early May.
Authorities have deployed additional forces in the area, launching a search operation to apprehend those responsible for the attack. The Committee on Tribal Unity (COTU) in Kangpokpi condemned the “unprovoked attack” and declared an “emergency shutdown,” urging the government to establish a separate administration for tribals.
The region has been marred by violence since May 3, following a ‘Tribal Solidarity March’ protesting the Meitei community’s demand for Scheduled Tribe (ST) status. The ongoing conflict has claimed more than 180 lives, exposing deep-seated tensions between the Meiteis, who constitute the majority in the Imphal Valley, and the tribals, including Nagas and Kukis, who make up a significant portion of the hill districts. The demand for a separate administration for tribals underscores the complex nature of the ethnic discord in Manipur.
Also read | Manipur airport on high alert after unidentified flying object spotted
Latest India News
- YouTuber who crashed plane as publicity stunt sentenced to six months in jail
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Menu and Prices
- “Neither before nor now…”: Shivraj Singh Chauhan on being a contender for the post of Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Bangladesh Coach Warns Against Complacency Ahead Of 2nd Test vs New Zealand | Cricket News
- Spur Steak Ranches Menu and Prices
- Apple Warns India’s EU-style Charger Rules Will Hit Local Production Target
- Newlywed Bride Killed By Shark While Paddleboarding In Bahamas A Day After Her Wedding
- Portable blenders are a kitchen necessity, Amazon is offering up to 75% discount on them.
- Shikhar Dhawan Turns 38: Reliving The Career Highlights Of Indian Team’s ‘Gabbar’ | Cricket News
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List
- GTA 6 trailer gets over 59m views in 12 hours, here’s what you may have missed
- Chilling footage shows Florida honors student lurking over mom’s bed moments before he allegedly stabbed her to death
- These are the top 5 deals on branded men’s wallet available on Amazon, up to 80% discount is available.
- India Aim For Better Returns Against England In Women’s T20I Series | Cricket News
- Maria Martin Pdeath Cause And Obituary : Groundbreaking Journalist Of Usa Died At 72
- Deepika Padukone as Squadron leader Minal Rathore in Hrithik Roshan’s Fighter | Check out intense poster | Bollywood News
- “Thought It Was An iPhone”: Thieves Return Stolen Android Phone To Shocked US Couple
- KCR had set out to win India, ‘Haath’ snatched his place
- “Didn’t Remove Virat Kohli From Captaincy”: Former BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Says “He Wasn’t…” | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In New Orleans, Louisiana: Best Places To Stay
- US Army Officer Breaks Guinness World Record For Burpee Pull-Ups
- India to Witness 42 Crore Air Travelers by 2030, Confirms Aviation Minister
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.