A 34-year-old man has been charged over what police allege was the “horrendous” rape of a 90-year-old woman in a New South Wales aged-care facility.
The elderly woman was treated for serious injuries in hospital after the alleged attack on the Central Coast that police say left the victim traumatised.
Police allege the man broke into the aged-care home at Bateau Bay about 12.40am last Wednesday before attacking the woman.
The 34-year-old man was arrested at a home in Caves Beach, near Lake Macquarie, on Monday evening and later charged with a string of offences including aggravated sexual assault.
The man had run out the back door of the property and jumped a fence before he was caught, police alleged on Tuesday. He was taken to hospital to treat minor injuries to his arm.
He was subsequently refused bail to appear at Belmont local court on Tuesday.
Sex crimes squad commander Jayne Doherty said it was “horrendous that someone, any person in the safety of their home would be attacked like this, but to [allegedly] attack a very defenceless old lady is beyond belief”.
Doherty said the alleged assault appeared to have been an opportunistic attack.
“So far we haven’t been able to find any connection between this male, the aged-care facility and the woman prior to the … offence,” she told reporters.
The woman was very traumatised and being looked after by family and medical staff as she recovered from severe wounds to her arms, the detective superintendent said.
“As you can understand, being elderly, her skin has torn significantly where pressure was applied,” she said.
Before the 34-year-old was arrested, detectives raided an address in The Entrance on Friday night.
During the search, police allege they located electronics, sim cards and clothing relevant to their investigation. The items were seized to undergo forensic examination.
The 34-year-old was charged with aggravated break and enter, inflicting actual bodily harm with intent to have sexual intercourse, aggravated sexual assault (break and enter) and aggravated sexual assault (inflict actual bodily harm on victim).
Extra security had been hired at the nursing home to ensure residents felt safe, police said, but they had no ongoing safety concerns.
- India to Witness 42 Crore Air Travelers by 2030, Confirms Aviation Minister
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.
- Pakistan’s Tour Goes From Bad To Worse As Ex-Captain, Junior Argue. Watch | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In Cambridge, England: Best Places To Stay
- Facebook Shutting Down Accounts But Why?
- Vladimir Putin To Visit UAE, Saudi, Host Iran President This Week
- Taxi driver tramples pigeons sitting on road, says road is for humans
- Another ‘Miracle in Melbourne’ or swan song in Paris: What to expect from Rafael Nadal after a long injury layoff
- Can We Play Lethal Company on MacBook? Working Methods and Performance
- Gujarat IT/ITeS Policy Aims To Increase Exports To Rs 25,000 Cr In 5 years
- Facial Recognition, Credit Card: UK Regulator’s Tough Measures For Porn Sites To Check Users’ Age
- Rashtriya Rajput Karni Sena President Sukhdev Singh Gogamedi murdered, miscreants entered his house and shot him
- O’Charley’s Menu and Prices
- Domino Effect: How Congress Drubbing Puts Thackeray, Pawar and Pawar on a Sticky Wicket
- Vladimir Putin To Visit Saudi Arabia, UAE Tomorrow: Kremlin
- To avoid cold and cough, consume the juice of this vegetable, know its other benefits.
- Julia Roberts breaks silence on ex-BF Matthew Perry’s ‘heartbreaking’ death
- “40 Km Everyday On Bicycle”: This Student-Turned-Food Delivery Agent’s Story Melts Hearts On Internet
- Leverage Redemption Season 3 Release Date : Recap, Cast, Review, Spoilers, Streaming, Schedule & Where To Watch?
- CUSAT stampede: Kerala High Court seeks inquiry report | Kerala News
- Little Pine Menu and Prices
- This Hotter RS6 Avant Will Be The Ultimate Audi Wagon In The ICE Era
- A man was stealing python eggs when the ferocious creature attacked him fiercely.
- Did you know Ranbir Kapoor’s Animal was shot at brother-in-law Saif Ali Khan’s Pataudi Palace? Pics inside