Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur has said India will become the third largest media and entertainment market in the world in next five years.
Speaking at the inauguration of 54th edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Panaji on Monday, Mr Thakur also said that for the first time, IFFI has decided to bestow the best web series OTT award, acknowledging the transformative role of original content creators in the country.
“India, on one hand, has become the fifth largest economy of the world. It is also fifth largest in the world in terms of the media and entertainment industry. In the next five years, India is going to be the third largest economy in the world as well as the third largest media and entertainment market,” he said.
The minister said similar to last year’s edition when they initiated some firsts, the spirit continues with some more firsts in this edition also.
“For the first time and from hereon, IFFI will bestow the best web series OTT award. It will acknowledge the transformative role of original content creators in India and celebrate their contribution to employment and innovation,” he said.
This recognition is also given to OTT (over-the-top media service) because it entertained people when “everything was closed” during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Union minister said.
“The OTT (segment) is currently growing at a rate of 28 per cent. That is why we decided to institute this award,” he said.
Another first in this year’s edition is to augment the scope of ‘Film Bazaar’ (an event held on the festival sidelines) by introducing a well-curated VFX and tech pavilion to showcase innovation from the cinema world, a documentary section to support non-fiction story telling, he added.
“For the time, we also present Cine Mela, an extravagant celebration of our diversity and culture. The IFFI has also introduced a section on restored classic feature films,” he said.
“We are going to show you seven world premieres of meticulously restored masterpieces of NFDC (National Film Development Corporation) and NFAI (National Film Archive of India) under the National Film Heritage Mission,” Thakur said.
Under this mission, 5,000 films and documentaries would be restored and digitised, he said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- Looking to put in place administrative machinery to deal with hate speeches; can’t deal with individual cases: Supreme Court | India News
- Ford Maverick Spy Shots Suggest High-Performance Model On The Way
- SSC Delhi Police Head Constable Ministerial skill test 2023 result declared; How to check | Exam Results News
- Will Never Sit Face-To-Face With US For Sovereignty Negotiations: North Korea
- Lung cancer: Expert says most suitable treatment depends on stage of disease, know treatment options | Health News
- India saw extreme weather events almost every day in first 9 months this year, 2923 killed: Report | India News
- SSC JE 2023 final answer key released at ssc.nic.in; How to check | Jobs News
- Delhi Excise Policy: Manish Sisodia approaches Supreme Court for review of its order denying him bail in CBI, ED cases | India News
- Scheduling issues have cheapened India vs Australia T20I series, says Michael Hussey | Cricket News
- “Very Common Phenomenon”: China Amid Surge In Respiratory Illnesses
- Chandigarh: Woman arrested for placing webcam in bathroom of PG | Crime News
- India Must Take “Canada’s Allegations Seriously”: Trudeau After US Case
- India backs UN resolution calling upon Israel to withdraw from Golan Heights | India News
- How to stream Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour film online in December | Hollywood News
- PTSD risk hovers of Uttarkashi tunnel survivors, mental health therapist shares tips to deal with it | Mental Health News
- Aston Martin Will Not Build A Mid-Engine Vanquish
- 30 November 2023 Virgo horoscope reading with Cancer, Leo and other zodiac signs | Astrology News
- 4 DIY facials for grooms before marriage | Beauty Tips News
- Man pays with life after he records thieves stealing a coconut in Navi Mumbai | Crime News
- Is Animal 2 in the pipeline? Producer Bhushan Kumar drops exciting hint | Bollywood News
- How sniffer dog ‘Leo’ took just 90 minutes to find 6-year-old kidnapped boy in Mumbai | Crime News
- 2025 Chevrolet Suburban And Tahoe Get 17.7-Inch Touchscreen, Stronger Diesel
- Dinesh Karthik shines as TN beat Baroda in Vijay Hazare Trophy | Cricket News
- Rahu Kaal on 30 November 2023: Delhi, Mumbai, Surat, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Jaipur, Chandigarh, and other cities | Astrology News