Good Burger 2 is nearly here, with Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell ready to take our orders once again.
The comedy sequel is being released on Paramount + on November 22, more than two decades after Dexter (Kenan) and Ed (Kel) last served up a helping of utter chaos and some extra special sauce in the Burger Mobile.
Phil Traill was behind the camera to capture their reunion, and told Metro.co.uk how the movie finally saw the light of day, 26 years after their first outing.
Discussing where the idea for the film came from, he told us: ‘Kenan and Kel became good friends again, and wanted to work together again. Then the script landed in a really great place, so everyone was just excited to get back together.
‘They’ve been looking forward to making this film for 25 years. So when it all finally came together, I was so excited to be there.
‘They slipped back into their roles really easily. Kel has been playing Ed on and off for the last 25 years. He’s been doing sketches and performing, different things like that. So, he had that nailed down, then Kenan just riffs along. I think they both found it really fun, free and just a happy place to be on set.’
Kenan and Kel previously sent fans into meltdown when they celebrated Good Burger’s 25-year anniversary last year, teasing that something new was on the way.
They staged a surprise reunion at New York Comic Con last month and slipped back into their routine with ease, leaving the crowd delighted as they quoted some of the most iconic lines from the first film, as well as their eponymous show.
Shedding light on what the experience was on set with the comedians, Phil continued: ‘There were scenes that I just never wanted to say cut, because they were just still riffing.
‘In the original, there’s a rooftop scene, and we’ve emulated lots of things from [it]. There’s a rooftop scene in the sequel, and they were just sitting there in the deck chairs, like they did in the original, we’d make the set just like the original, everything felt really warm.
‘We just put the camera there and they just talked for a long time. Then they started singing and that song – they just improvised a song – and that song is now in the film.
‘I think the first time they got in the Burger Mobile and were allowed to free drive around the streets, it was like two children had just jumped in the coolest car of their dreams and couldn’t believe they’re allowed at the wheel. The buzz was amazing.
‘Obviously, as we were driving along, fans were screaming from the side of the road, people were seeing the Burger Mobile. So, the energy was just extraordinary that day, everyone was having the best time.
‘We got so lucky with the level of comedic talent on set every day. They made every day a joy.’
Thankfully, we don’t have long to wait as the movie hits Paramount + this week, with Ed and Dex going back to their fast food roots.
‘In Good Burger 2, Dexter Reed is down on his luck after another one of his inventions fails,’ the official synopsis reads. ‘Ed welcomes Dex back to Good Burger with open arms and gives him his old job back.
‘With a new crew working at Good Burger, Dex devises a plan to get back on his feet but unfortunately puts the fate of Good Burger at risk once again.’
It’s clear to see that the original was beloved by many and has become a cult classic over years, but did this pile the pressure on Phil when it came to recreating the same magic?
‘Personally, I didn’t feel particular pressure to deliver to millions of fans,’ he laughed. ‘I’ve grown to realize how precious it is to a lot of people. But I just want to do it for myself and have as much fun as I could, doing it for myself.
‘What’s exciting is that, when people who I assume were kids, mainly, watching the first one, it really hits something deep for them, it’s a very nostalgic, emotional response they have to Kenan and Kel, and to the film.
‘So they’re now in their mid 30s… To think that there’s a whole new generation of kids who will be able to watch the first one and/or watch this second one, and we can inspire that lot for another 25 years, that’s a real privilege.’
Good Burger 2 premieres exclusively on Paramount+ on November 22.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List
- GTA 6 trailer gets over 59m views in 12 hours, here’s what you may have missed
- Chilling footage shows Florida honors student lurking over mom’s bed moments before he allegedly stabbed her to death
- These are the top 5 deals on branded men’s wallet available on Amazon, up to 80% discount is available.
- India Aim For Better Returns Against England In Women’s T20I Series | Cricket News
- Maria Martin Pdeath Cause And Obituary : Groundbreaking Journalist Of Usa Died At 72
- Deepika Padukone as Squadron leader Minal Rathore in Hrithik Roshan’s Fighter | Check out intense poster | Bollywood News
- “Thought It Was An iPhone”: Thieves Return Stolen Android Phone To Shocked US Couple
- KCR had set out to win India, ‘Haath’ snatched his place
- “Didn’t Remove Virat Kohli From Captaincy”: Former BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Says “He Wasn’t…” | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In New Orleans, Louisiana: Best Places To Stay
- US Army Officer Breaks Guinness World Record For Burpee Pull-Ups
- India to Witness 42 Crore Air Travelers by 2030, Confirms Aviation Minister
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.
- Pakistan’s Tour Goes From Bad To Worse As Ex-Captain, Junior Argue. Watch | Cricket News
- Sam Bahadur box office collection day 4: Vicky Kaushal film stays steady on first Monday, mints ₹3.5 cr
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In Cambridge, England: Best Places To Stay
- Facebook Shutting Down Accounts But Why?
- Vladimir Putin To Visit UAE, Saudi, Host Iran President This Week
- Taxi driver tramples pigeons sitting on road, says road is for humans
- Another ‘Miracle in Melbourne’ or swan song in Paris: What to expect from Rafael Nadal after a long injury layoff
- Can We Play Lethal Company on MacBook? Working Methods and Performance
- Gujarat IT/ITeS Policy Aims To Increase Exports To Rs 25,000 Cr In 5 years