Chiranjeev Singh, first Sikh to become a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh pracharak, passed away at 93 on Monday (November 20) at a hospital in Ludhiana. He was the pracharak since 1953, thus the senior-most in terms of tenure and age. He was one of the founders of Rashtriya Sikh Sangat which was launched in 1985. He became its second president in 1990. RSS chief Mohan Bhagat paid tributes to the departed soul and said that he played a crucial role in strengthening unity and social harmony in the entire country.
“Sardar Chiranjeev Singh ji, a lifelong pracharak of the Sangh, worked for decades in Punjab. Subsequently, through the work of Rashtriya Sikh Sangat, he played an important role in removing the mutual differences and distrust arising due to the unfortunate situation in Punjab and strengthening unity and social harmony in the entire country in the light of nationalist spirit and understanding. Due to his immense efforts and hard work, deep study of Guru-tradition of Punjab and excellent organizational skills, he included innumerable people in the flow of nationalism. Sardar Chiranjeev Singh ji’s affectionate and sweet personality had won over everyone. Despite not being active for some time due to illness, his passion was not dwindling,” RSS posted on X, formerly Twitter.
Five things to know about Chiranjeev Singh
- He completed his BA from Rajkiya Vidyalaya, Patiala in 1952 and initially aspired to become a teacher, however, he joined RSS as a pracharak in 1953 on the insistence of Vibhag Pracharak.
- Mohan Bhagwat had felicitated Singh at a special function to celebrate his 85th birthday at Mavalankar Auditorium in Delhi on December 21, 2015, and handed over nearly Rs 85 lakh, however, Chiranjeev Singh donated the entire sum to Keshav Samarak Samiti instantly. Samiti worked at RSS office in Jhandewalan.
- According to former Rashtriya Sikh Sangat national general secretary Avtar Singh Shastri, Chiranjeev Singh had organised Sant Yatra from Patna Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Gobind Singh, to Anandpur Sahib in 1999 to mark 300 years of the foundation of Khalsa.
- Chiranjeev Singh also constituted Punjab Kalyan Forum in the 80s when there was militancy in the state and worked for unity and communal harmony while also organising a procession, ‘Brahmkund to Amritkund’ from Haridwar to Amritsar.
- While RSS was banned in 1948, Chiranjeev Singh actively participated in Satyagraha and spent two months in jail. His contributions extended beyond boundaries and travelled to England, Canada, Germany, the US and propagated the idea of Sangh. In 1999, he organised the ‘Khalsa Sirjana Yatra’ in Patna, and in 2000, he participated in the ‘World Religion Conference’ in New York.
Latest India News
- Ex-India Star Picks “24-Carat Gold” Player To Succeed Rohit Sharma As Test Captain | Cricket News
- Year-End Offer: Mahindra Offers massive Discount on XUV300 and XUV400
- YouTuber who crashed plane as publicity stunt sentenced to six months in jail
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Menu and Prices
- “Neither before nor now…”: Shivraj Singh Chauhan on being a contender for the post of Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Bangladesh Coach Warns Against Complacency Ahead Of 2nd Test vs New Zealand | Cricket News
- Spur Steak Ranches Menu and Prices
- Apple Warns India’s EU-style Charger Rules Will Hit Local Production Target
- Actor Dinesh Phadnis passes away, ‘CID’ team pays condolences
- Newlywed Bride Killed By Shark While Paddleboarding In Bahamas A Day After Her Wedding
- Portable blenders are a kitchen necessity, Amazon is offering up to 75% discount on them.
- Shikhar Dhawan Turns 38: Reliving The Career Highlights Of Indian Team’s ‘Gabbar’ | Cricket News
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List
- GTA 6 trailer gets over 59m views in 12 hours, here’s what you may have missed
- Chilling footage shows Florida honors student lurking over mom’s bed moments before he allegedly stabbed her to death
- These are the top 5 deals on branded men’s wallet available on Amazon, up to 80% discount is available.
- India Aim For Better Returns Against England In Women’s T20I Series | Cricket News
- Maria Martin Pdeath Cause And Obituary : Groundbreaking Journalist Of Usa Died At 72
- Deepika Padukone as Squadron leader Minal Rathore in Hrithik Roshan’s Fighter | Check out intense poster | Bollywood News
- “Thought It Was An iPhone”: Thieves Return Stolen Android Phone To Shocked US Couple
- KCR had set out to win India, ‘Haath’ snatched his place
- “Didn’t Remove Virat Kohli From Captaincy”: Former BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Says “He Wasn’t…” | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In New Orleans, Louisiana: Best Places To Stay