Months after an inmate died in the district jail here, the prison’s deputy jailor and three others have been booked for murder, police said on Monday.
The inmate, Bablu Singh of Sitapur’s Misrikh, died in April. He was lodged in the district jail in cases of molestation and those under the POCSO Act and the Gangster Act, they said.
Deputy Jailor Vijayalakshmi Gupta used to demand money from Singh and he was harassed if he did not pay. On April 14, Singh was beaten badly and he died as he was not given proper treatment, police said.
Singh’s mother Seema lodged a police complaint in the matter and though post-mortem examination was conducted, no action was taken.
Seema moved court, which immediately ordered the Kotwali police to register a case in the matter.
Following the court order, police have booked Gupta, jail pharmacist Shailendra Verma, jail staff Sudhanshu Srivastava and another person under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). An investigation is underway and a report will be filed soon, Investigating Officer Alok Mani Tripathi said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- Tecno Spark Go 2024 with expandable notch, dual DTS speakers to launch in India soon | Mobile Phone News
- Man gets stuck between train, platform at Delhi’s Qutub Minar metro station, horrific video surfaces | India News
- Jeevan Utsav: Know about LIC’s new scheme that comes with mandatory survival benefit | Utility News
- ‘Animal’ director Sandeep Reddy Vanga breaks silence on Rahsmika’s viral teeth-clenching scene | Bollywood News
- Looking to put in place administrative machinery to deal with hate speeches; can’t deal with individual cases: Supreme Court | India News
- Ford Maverick Spy Shots Suggest High-Performance Model On The Way
- SSC Delhi Police Head Constable Ministerial skill test 2023 result declared; How to check | Exam Results News
- Will Never Sit Face-To-Face With US For Sovereignty Negotiations: North Korea
- Lung cancer: Expert says most suitable treatment depends on stage of disease, know treatment options | Health News
- India saw extreme weather events almost every day in first 9 months this year, 2923 killed: Report | India News
- SSC JE 2023 final answer key released at ssc.nic.in; How to check | Jobs News
- Delhi Excise Policy: Manish Sisodia approaches Supreme Court for review of its order denying him bail in CBI, ED cases | India News
- Scheduling issues have cheapened India vs Australia T20I series, says Michael Hussey | Cricket News
- “Very Common Phenomenon”: China Amid Surge In Respiratory Illnesses
- Chandigarh: Woman arrested for placing webcam in bathroom of PG | Crime News
- India Must Take “Canada’s Allegations Seriously”: Trudeau After US Case
- India backs UN resolution calling upon Israel to withdraw from Golan Heights | India News
- How to stream Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour film online in December | Hollywood News
- PTSD risk hovers of Uttarkashi tunnel survivors, mental health therapist shares tips to deal with it | Mental Health News
- Aston Martin Will Not Build A Mid-Engine Vanquish
- 30 November 2023 Virgo horoscope reading with Cancer, Leo and other zodiac signs | Astrology News
- 4 DIY facials for grooms before marriage | Beauty Tips News
- Man pays with life after he records thieves stealing a coconut in Navi Mumbai | Crime News
- Is Animal 2 in the pipeline? Producer Bhushan Kumar drops exciting hint | Bollywood News