WASHINGTON (NewsNation) – President Joe Biden celebrated his 81st birthday Monday by granting clemency to a pair of turkeys hailing from Minnesota in a ceremony at the White House.
“That’s a big bird, man, I’m impressed,” Biden said from the South Lawn. “I hereby pardon Liberty and Bell.”
The two lucky birds — Liberty, a 42.5-pound turkey, and Bell, weighing in at 42.1 pounds — were hatched in July in Willmar, Minnesota.
“Even though Liberty and Bell are from Minnesota, they are named for the famous ‘Liberty Bell’ in Philadelphia,” Biden said. “These birds have a new appreciation of the words, ‘Let Freedom Ring.’”
Apart from fluffing their enormous plumage while the president spoke, the turkeys were generally well-behaved during the ceremony.
Liberty and Bell will live out their days at the University of Minnesota’s College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resources Sciences.
The tradition began in 1947 when the National Turkey Federation presented a live turkey to President Harry Truman. However, Truman is erroneously credited with starting the annual custom of pardoning the turkey; according to the Truman Library, his birds had a different fate.
In fact, “Truman sometimes indicated to reporters that the turkeys he received were destined for the family dinner table.”
It was President George H.W. Bush who established the formalities of pardoning a turkey when he took office in 1989. As part of a pre-Thanksgiving ceremony, Bush quipped, “Let me assure you, and this fine tom turkey, that he will not end up on anyone’s dinner table, not this guy. He’s granted a presidential pardon as of right now.”
It has been an annual tradition ever since.
- Spur Steak Ranches Menu and Prices
- Apple Warns India’s EU-style Charger Rules Will Hit Local Production Target
- Newlywed Bride Killed By Shark While Paddleboarding In Bahamas A Day After Her Wedding
- Portable blenders are a kitchen necessity, Amazon is offering up to 75% discount on them.
- Shikhar Dhawan Turns 38: Reliving The Career Highlights Of Indian Team’s ‘Gabbar’ | Cricket News
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List
- GTA 6 trailer gets over 59m views in 12 hours, here’s what you may have missed
- Chilling footage shows Florida honors student lurking over mom’s bed moments before he allegedly stabbed her to death
- These are the top 5 deals on branded men’s wallet available on Amazon, up to 80% discount is available.
- India Aim For Better Returns Against England In Women’s T20I Series | Cricket News
- Maria Martin Pdeath Cause And Obituary : Groundbreaking Journalist Of Usa Died At 72
- Deepika Padukone as Squadron leader Minal Rathore in Hrithik Roshan’s Fighter | Check out intense poster | Bollywood News
- “Thought It Was An iPhone”: Thieves Return Stolen Android Phone To Shocked US Couple
- KCR had set out to win India, ‘Haath’ snatched his place
- “Didn’t Remove Virat Kohli From Captaincy”: Former BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Says “He Wasn’t…” | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In New Orleans, Louisiana: Best Places To Stay
- US Army Officer Breaks Guinness World Record For Burpee Pull-Ups
- India to Witness 42 Crore Air Travelers by 2030, Confirms Aviation Minister
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.
- Pakistan’s Tour Goes From Bad To Worse As Ex-Captain, Junior Argue. Watch | Cricket News
- Sam Bahadur box office collection day 4: Vicky Kaushal film stays steady on first Monday, mints ₹3.5 cr
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In Cambridge, England: Best Places To Stay
- Facebook Shutting Down Accounts But Why?