Australian cricket team all-rounder Mitchell Marsh is currently facing a lot of criticism on social media following a viral photo showing him resting his foot on the Cricket World Cup trophy. Australia defeated India by six wickets to claim a record-extending sixth World Cup title resulting in massive heartbreak for the Rohit Sharma-led side which was unbeaten ahead of the final match on Sunday. In a picture that has gone viral on social media, Marsh can be seen sitting on the sofa while resting his foot on the World Cup trophy. The social media users were not happy with the act and they expressed their disappointment.
Caption this click of Australian all-rounder Mitchell Marsh with his feet on world cup trophy…. pic.twitter.com/SyCyRQo5QW— Megh Updates™ (@MeghUpdates) November 20, 2023
Restricting a powerful Indian batting line-up to 240 was a huge factor in Australia winning their sixth World Cup, captain Pat Cummins said on Sunday, terming the victory as their best effort in the showpiece.
Riding on Travis Head‘s 120-ball 137, the Aussies chased down the target after an early stutter to etch a six-wicket victory.
Disrespectful to the world cup trophy. They should be penalised for this.— Priyanka M. Mishra (@soulfulgirlll) November 20, 2023
“We saved our best for the last. I am chuffed with keeping them to 240 – anything under 300 really. I was one of those blokes with the hearts fluttering but Head took the game on,” said Cummins during the post-match presentation.
Disrespectful— Samriddhi Singh (@Samridd90774225) November 20, 2023
“A couple of big-match players stepped up and chuffed. It was a shift after two games. The openers were really aggressive and it was a total buy-in from everyone. We will remember this year (2023) for a long time. This pips it all,” said Cummins.
Cummins then went on to explain his decision to chase the target rather than setting one, something teams usually refrain from doing in high-stakes matches. “We thought it was a good night to chase. The pitch was slower than I thought and it didn’t particularly spin and we bowled tight lines. On a slow wicket with variable bounce, we had a couple of catchers on the leg side,” he said.
Cummins was also effusive in his praise for Australia’s effort on the field. “We have an ageing side but everyone threw themselves around,” he said.
Man-of-the-match Head joined the squad late as he was recovering from a hand injury that he suffered during the pre-World Cup bilateral ODI series against South Africa.
Cummins patted the South Australian for his awesome innings in the final.
“The selectors backed him even when he had a broken hand. It’s a big risk and it paid off.” The Sydney cricketer was happy to play and triumph in front of passionate spectators in India.
“It was awesome to play and the passion in India is unrivalled. You just got to go and win a World Cup (in India). You can’t wait for it,” he concluded.
(With PTI inputs)
Topics mentioned in this article
- Portable blenders are a kitchen necessity, Amazon is offering up to 75% discount on them.
- Shikhar Dhawan Turns 38: Reliving The Career Highlights Of Indian Team’s ‘Gabbar’ | Cricket News
- Buffalo Wild Wings Breakfast Menu Prices & Hours
- Gautam Adani’s Wealth Soars By $10 Bn In A Week, Takes 16th Rank In Global Rich List
- GTA 6 trailer gets over 59m views in 12 hours, here’s what you may have missed
- Chilling footage shows Florida honors student lurking over mom’s bed moments before he allegedly stabbed her to death
- These are the top 5 deals on branded men’s wallet available on Amazon, up to 80% discount is available.
- India Aim For Better Returns Against England In Women’s T20I Series | Cricket News
- Maria Martin Pdeath Cause And Obituary : Groundbreaking Journalist Of Usa Died At 72
- Deepika Padukone as Squadron leader Minal Rathore in Hrithik Roshan’s Fighter | Check out intense poster | Bollywood News
- “Thought It Was An iPhone”: Thieves Return Stolen Android Phone To Shocked US Couple
- KCR had set out to win India, ‘Haath’ snatched his place
- “Didn’t Remove Virat Kohli From Captaincy”: Former BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, Says “He Wasn’t…” | Cricket News
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In New Orleans, Louisiana: Best Places To Stay
- US Army Officer Breaks Guinness World Record For Burpee Pull-Ups
- India to Witness 42 Crore Air Travelers by 2030, Confirms Aviation Minister
- Make roti by mixing 1 spoon of this spice in millet flour, uric acid will be controlled in 15 days.
- Pakistan’s Tour Goes From Bad To Worse As Ex-Captain, Junior Argue. Watch | Cricket News
- Sam Bahadur box office collection day 4: Vicky Kaushal film stays steady on first Monday, mints ₹3.5 cr
- Top 10 Lavish (Luxury) Hotels In Cambridge, England: Best Places To Stay
- Facebook Shutting Down Accounts But Why?
- Vladimir Putin To Visit UAE, Saudi, Host Iran President This Week
- Taxi driver tramples pigeons sitting on road, says road is for humans
- Another ‘Miracle in Melbourne’ or swan song in Paris: What to expect from Rafael Nadal after a long injury layoff